Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Take a Dip

It can be hard to get in all your veggies. Sometime it can be hard to make snacking on them interesting. I get that. I'm constantly laughed at during work for walking around with a bag of baby carrots or a tub of cut celery. Yes, my office tends to smell like an orchard/produce aisle, but you do what you gotta go, right? I've never been a big fan of ranch dressing (thank goodness) or other veggie dips. What I am a fan of though is SALSA! I love me some good salsa. Hot salsa, mild salsa, chunky salsa, I love it all. I usually keep a jar of it in the fridge for my carrots if I want to add some flavor.

I'm also a huge fan of hummus. Even though hummus is made with chickpeas (not paleo my friends) it has loads of good fat from the olive oil. If you aren't going 100% paleo then I think hummus is fine in moderation with veggies. I had some the other night. Roasted Red Pepper...my favorite. If you are eating cups of it at a time, however, you might want to think about finding an alternative. I found this great hummus substitute from Son of Gork back in August. Here is the recipe:

Not really Hummus but could be Hummus

If you are looking for something fun to dip your apples or celery in, grab some almond butter. Always check your labels. It should have one ingredient...almonds. Lots of paleo followers rave about Sunbutter (sunflower seeds), but I have yet to try it. I can't find the organic stuff in the store...only the kind with added cane juice (sugar).

Here is a past post on a fun topic:
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

Confession:
I had some tortilla soup during lunch at McAlister's today with my salad. It was a cup and I ate about half. 13 grams carbs, 4 grams sugar and 10 grams of protein for a serving. Let's get real, it wasn't that horrible of an off paleo meal, but it did have some cheese. I did have them leave off the tortila strips. Since I'm keeping my paleo about 90/10 right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment