Friday, July 31, 2009

One Day at a Time

I tried the Atkins diet once. I was in college. I wouldn't say I needed to lose weight, but I could have been leaner. I was lifting a lot of heavy weight during off season. Whatever, excuses. I was still in "eat what I want" mode because I was a college athlete, which by the way is not actually a good excuse to eat whatever you want. Too bad.

Atkins didn't work.

It last eight hours.

I'm not kidding.

Atkins was all the rage when I was in college. A few of my teammates were on it and had seen great success. I decided to try it out. I made it through lunch and then threw my hands up in the air around 3PM and made a peanut butter sandwich. Needless to say, Atkins ended shortly after it started.

The way I eat now compared to the way I ate then is completely different. The way I look at food and fitness are completely different as well. I'm dedicated and willing to put in the work to change my life. I hope you are too.

A Few Reminders
When To Eat
Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are full. It is pretty simple.

Be Prepared
Get rid of all your junk food. Yes, even the bread and cheese. If it isn't in the house you won't eat it. Find some good and easy Paleo snacks to have on hand. I tried out some Larabars and they were pretty yummy. I'm a big fan of the Apple Pie. Get some. You can find them for $1.25 each at Wally World (Wal-Mart people). Remember, these are Paleo friendly, but eat in moderation. No more than one a day.

Be Even More Prepared
Have some chicken breasts cooked up ready to go at all times. Chicken is quick and easy. I plan on hitting up the butcher for some choice meats every evening for dinner and lunch the following day. I also plan on cooking a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of every week to have on hand for breakfast or whenever I need them.

Menu Planning
Plan out your menu every week. This doesn't mean you have to shop for everything at once, but decide what you want to cook up for dinner every night for the upcoming week. Have your shopping list ready to go. Know what you are having for breakfast before you wake up. This will cut down on time. Research new recipes that use new to you meats and veggies.

One Day at a Time
This is the best piece of advice I can give you. Take it one day at a time. Seriously. I know I have said be prepared and think ahead, but take it one day at a time. Make it through Saturday, go to bed proud of yourself, wake up and do it again. You'll start seeing results, you'll feel better and you'll want to keep going. Don't get discouraged. Keep at it. We are all in this together.

Now What?
Tomorrow it begins. I am so excited about everyone that has posted to say they are going along with my craziness. I'm also excited about those of you who have talked to me in person to tell me your on board. You have all really encouraged me. I'm so proud of all of you! Post daily or as you have time and keep everyone updated about your progress. We are all going to find what does or does not work for our own bodies. Share what you have learned. It will help everyone else. If you have questions then ask them. Everyone is free to answer. I am not the source anymore. We all are! We are all doing this for the first time together. I can't wait to hear how the first few days go for everyone.

Don't forget, get your weight and body fat measurements before tomorrow if possible! You'll want to keep track of your physical results.

What are you having for breakfast tomorrow? What about your post Saturday CrossFit snack? I know what I'm having. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Great job yesterday at CFJ, Ginny! Day one of the paleo challenge is behind me and I'm loving it! I was surprised that I never got hungry yesterday (I guess that is what happens when you eat healthy food instead of wheat thins). The only struggle I had was feeling like something was missing. My constant weekend snacking was missing and I felt weird. I look forward to the day when I don't feel the need to feed my boredom. Thanks for all the blogging! It is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete