Monday, October 12, 2009

Out of Commision

I'm depressed. My hip hurts and I can't do anything about it. This happened to me last fall and I was miserable. I have a trochanteric bursitis. It is just a fancy way of saying the bursa in my hip is inflamed and hurts like crazy. I can't do anything that puts too much stress on my hip until it calms down. I didn't do one thing to hurt it. It happened because of over use and the fact that I have no flexibility in my hip at all. I've always known I wasn't very flexible, but when my dad was testing it out on Sunday my worse fears were confirmed, I have the flexibility of a steel building. That needs to change.

This week I will be doing a lot of walking and stretching. This weekend I thought I was being smart by swimming and doing some work on the elliptical. No impact = no problem. Right? Wrong. Apparently doing the breaststroke kick really aggravated my hip. I thought I was being so smart. Figures. Anyway, another lesson learned. I know it will be at least a week until I'm back in my CrossFit gym doing what I love. The important thing is to rest it now before it gets worse and takes longer to get better. Oh frustration.

Maybe I will just perfect my handstand push ups this week....

On the positive side, this is a great week to really keep up my nutrition. Since I won't be getting in the workouts I want, nutrition will be very important until I am back to normal. This morning I started off with egg whites, turkey sausage, about a 1/4 of an orange and some almonds.

I'm going to keep a good attitude and follow the doctor's orders. I'm not always the best patient. It is not a trait I am too proud of.

1 comment:

  1. Ginny, I am so proud of you. You are a rock and wonderful example for me! I really appreciate you being so strong!
    I too am out of commission due to my knee, but I am back into the swing with small steps. I miss you very much!
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete