Thursday, September 24, 2009

Salad = Yum

I used to think that eating salad was boring. It is easy to see why. What do you normally get when you order a side salad at a restaurant? Some iceberg lettuce, carrot shavings, a cherry tomato or two, heaps of cheese and croutons. Even when you order a salad as a meal your limits are many. Most have some sort of breaded chicken, cheese, and minimal extra veggies. I have become the queen of the annoying orders. I like to specialize my salad to perfection so it fits the caveman lifestyle. The best place to do this is not at a restaurant, but at home!

The past few nights I have deviated from my normal protein with veggies as sides. I've just been throwing everything together in a big bowl and let me tell you it is the only way to go! Tonight, don't think, just grab. Pull out your lettuce and four or five veggies. Make sure you have your protein and fat and create your own salad combination. Here is what mine consisted of last night:

Field greens
Radish
Onion
Tomato
Avocado
Sunflower seeds
Grilled chicken (already prepared by me for the week)
Dried cranberries (organic, no sugar added...my 2nd serving of fruit for the day)
Olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar

Oh me. Oh my. It was yummy. Not only yummy, but insanely satisfying. Tonight I'll do the same thing, but I'm going to throw in some zucchini. Salads can be a meal. Salads can fill you up. Salads made from a variety or "whatever is in your veggie drawer" are awesome. Get crazy and mix it up.

What do you put on your salad to make it extraordinary?

No comments:

Post a Comment