Monday, September 14, 2009

Veggie Up

The transition to cut my beloved Larabar intake down is going well. As you know, I have swapped the Larabar for veggies as my mid day snack. I have been pleasantly surprised at my response. Sure, I miss the sweet goodness of the fruit, but my veggies last so much longer. I can munch on them for hours and I don't feel hungry. I am really excited about this and anxious to see what happens over the next few weeks.

The Radish
My parents love radishes. Growing up they would occasionally show up in my salad. I know my mom was trying to get me to like something new. I would usually eat them if they were there, but I ate them so fast I never really developed a taste for them. I just tried to get them down because I knew I did not like them. This weekend, for the first time ever, I actually took time to taste a radish while chewing. I was visiting my parents and my mom made this great veggie plate. I have to admit I am now a radish fan. Hooray! I am quite ecstatic that I found another veggie to add to my list of usual fall backs. Why the radish? The radish is rich in folic acid and potassium. Did you hear that ladies? Folic Acid. It is also a good source of B vitamins and calcium. Plus, one cup of these babies only has twenty calories. They have a great peppery flavor to them. Toss them in your usual salad to spice it up or eat them raw. If you haven't had one before then your project this week is to incorporate the radish into your diet.

Old Chicago
In other paleo news, I went to Old Chicago on Saturday to watch some of the OU game. I made the conscious decision to have my first real non paleo meal since I started all of this over six weeks ago. I came to love Old Chicago while visiting my sister in Colorado Springs during her time at the Air Force Academy. "OC's" was a hang out for the cadets. They have the most amazing pizza dough on the planet. I tried to play it a little safe and ordered a thin crust individual pizza topped with Canadian bacon, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes. I asked for very minimal cheese. They listened well because I could hardly see the cheese. It wasn't even worth having cheese. As much as I love Old Chicago pizza, and boy do I love it, this just didn't have the same thrill. About thirty minutes after eating my stomach started to cramp and ache. After a few laps around Super Target it felt better, but I kept thinking to myself how eating that pizza just didn't have the same effect anymore. I didn't like how it made me feel. It was a good experiment. Plus, I got to see the OU game for free.

So what about you? Is there a food you used to love that just doesn't appeal to you the same way now that you have tried paleo?

No comments:

Post a Comment