Friday, August 21, 2009

Fruit

A quick word about fruit. Fruit is good. You should eat it. Starting out however, it is probably better to base most of your snacks around a protein. The first two weeks I as eating about four or so servings of fruit a day with not enough protein. When I get hungry I typically reach for fruits or nuts. I fell in love with dried mango and baked organic apples. Those were too accessible and made it very easy to eat too much fruit for me.

My percentage of calories from carbs and proteins has been a little out of whack. I want to hover around 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs. I've been more around 50% fat, 30% carbs, 20% protein. For me, I decided to cut back on my fruit. and up the protein. The past few days I have only been eating about 2 1/2 servings of fruit. One with breakfast, half a serving with a mini Larabar (not the big ones) as a snack and then an apple or pear right after my workout.

This might be different for you. Remember, it will be different for everyone. If you aren't losing the body fat you want to lose then look at what you are eating. You might be eating too much fat or you might be eating too much fruit. This is why it is so important to keep some sort of food journal. Keep your lean protein intake high and eat lots of veggies. Get enough fat and eat fruit when you need something sweet and after workouts. Your body may do fine with four or five servings of fruit.

If you think you are eating too much fruit, but you don't want to cut back too much, try to incorporate some lower sugar fruits like rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, papaya, apricots, grapefruit and melons. Higher sugar fruits you may want to cut back on are pineapple, pears, mango, bananas, grapes, plums and kiwi.

No comments:

Post a Comment