Monday, August 17, 2009

Pumpkin!

Do you love pumpkin pie? OK I don't love pumpkin pie, but I think it is a fun treat during the fall. I have been channeling Mother Nature begging her for some brilliant fall football weather. It hasn't happened yet. Last night in a desperate last attempt to feel the fall, I pulled out a can of Libby's Pumpkin Puree and made some make shift paleo pumpkin pie.

Honestly, it was hardly pumpkin pie. I didn't chop up almonds to make a paleo crust. Now that would have been awesome. I did, however, scoop about a cup of pumpkin puree into a custard dish, sprinkled it very generously with cinnamon and nutmeg and then threw in a few walnuts. Oh my, it was a treat! It wasn't very sweet. It was actually kind of tangy and had a little bit of a bite. Pumpkin is my new after dinner snack. An added bonus is that pumpkin is super low in carbs for those of you who may be trying to cut back on fruit and carbs (4 grams per serving!). It is also high in vitamin A and fiber! YAY!

It has been a lot of fun discovering little treats like this over the lat few weeks. Have you found any? Tonight I am making paleo friendly hummus. I will report back on the outcome. I really miss my hummus. I hope this stuff can fill the void! I need something for my carrots and celery. I am admittedly becoming tired of them as a snack.

I'm also going to brag on myself a bit...

This weekend I went to lunch with my mom and I ordered fajitas minus the cheese and tortillas of course. I smothered the chicken, onions and peppers with pico and avocado. Yum oh yum. I was full for hours. I also did something during this lunch that I have Never. Done. Before. I sat with chips and salsa in front of my face and did not reach or even think about reaching for a single chip. Seriously. I am still in shock myself. You can reward me by donating to my Fight Gone Bad team.

1 comment:

  1. Ginny! Congrats on resisting the temptation to indulge in tortilla chips (my all-time diet achilles heel). You have more willpower than anyone I know!

    I love eating pumpkin purée, too. I mix mine with a little bit of natural apple sauce and I find that helps with the bite. I just mix 1/2 pumpkin, 1/4 cup apple sauce and a LOT of cinnamon. That is enough for two. I like your idea of including nuts. I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete